Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Emerging Professional: Matthew Duggan
1. How would you describe the culture of the firm that you work for?
The Culture at English + Associates is one that encourages education and career advancement. The culture is conducive to providing each employee with opportunities to personalize their experience based on their desired goals.
2. What role does the intern have in your firm?
Interns participate in all aspects of the firm’s daily activities.
3. How has the IDP program helped you? How has your office benefitted from the IDP program?
The IDP program has provided me with a bench mark to see my progress towards becoming a balanced architect. Through IDP I was able to determine specific aspects of the profession that I needed to spend more time learning. The firm’s employees are well rounded and more knowledgeable as a result of the IDP program.
4. How does your IDP process differ from your friends working at other firms?
It seems like the responsibility of the IDP process, at other firms, falls solely on the individual. Whereas at English + Associates, the firm is a team member in the process.
5. What is the best thing about being an architect?
(I am currently studying for the ARE in order to become an architect. I have completed all IDP requirements.)
The best thing about being an architectural intern or about working in the architecture industry as someone pursing an architecture license is being able to educate others about the built environment so that they can make informed decisions.
6. What do you want most out of your career as an architect?
I want to educate and inspire.
7. Name one thing the Texas Society of Architects could do to support the development of the intern/associate members.
Provide more affordable education programs and study materials to help interns study for the ARE.